Today, we are going to talk about ” narcissism in women”: sings and psychological causes.
In most articles on the problem of narcissism, the main “heroes” are usually men who make the lives of those around them a real nightmare. But narcissism can also occur in women. In this case, the manifestation of this behavior disorder will be somewhat different, and it will be more difficult to recognize it.
Narcissism: what does psychology say about it?
What is narcissism? This is not just an obsession with oneself and pathological love for oneself. Narcissism is a personality disorder in which the individual lacks empathy, the ability to empathize, the ability to see the personality in another person. That is, for the narcissist, due to his psychological characteristics, those around him are not subjects with feelings and experiences, but objects that can be used if desired.
At the same time, the narcissist has low self-esteem. Although from the outside it seems that the situation is diametrically opposite. In fact, the attitude towards oneself is proportional to the grandeur of one’s personality in the eyes of others. He needs admiration, unconditional love, and acceptance, even some sacrifice.
If all this is not available for some reason (for example, the “victim” decided to break off the relationship), self-esteem drops sharply – the narcissist begins to feel insignificant. Becomes disgusting to himself. But the “victim” should not succumb to regrets: it is worth trying to start communication again. The narcissist will not only resume energetic vampirism but also take revenge for the fact that an attempt was made to break free.
Causes of narcissism
Why does relationship-disfiguring narcissism develop? Scientists believe that the matter can be both in the innate features of the activity of the brain and in education. In the first case, we are talking about the “breakdown” of the systems responsible for empathy and attachment. The second is about childhood violence or rejection by significant adults who did not understand the child’s needs and ignored his emotional experiences.
Most likely, the truth is somewhere in between. That is, in order to become a narcissist, you need to have some kind of predisposition and be in an environment that favors the development of the worst personality traits.
Narcissism in women: signs and characteristics
As discussed above, narcissism in women is more difficult to recognize. It is all the more important to know its signs, the specifics of behavior:
- A woman suffering from this disorder often corresponds to the fatal beauty type. She looks great and knows how to present herself. Easily attracts the attention of the opposite sex. And often has many friends who admire her.
- A characteristic manifestation of narcissism is the deification of a partner at the first stage of a relationship. The narcissist quickly understands what the other person wants and readily gives it to him. Does a man need care and attention? The woman will become gentle and affectionate. Do you like vamp women, mysterious and unapproachable? She will successfully play this role.
- Women with narcissism often play an emotional swing with a partner. They either surround him with love, loyally. Looking into his eyes and swearing vows of eternal love and fidelity. Then, they behave coldly, hinting at the inevitability of imminent separation. At the same time, it is impossible to understand for what reasons such drastic changes occurred. Learn how to recognize and defend against an energy vampire.
- Such women often change lovers and can have several at the same time. At the same time, they do not experience real feelings: men for them are just resources.
- A female narcissist may have girlfriends. But girlfriends for them are as much a resource as fans. For example, they can assert themselves at the expense of friends, choosing only those women who look worse, are less successful.
Can you help a narcissist to change?
Dealing with a narcissist is a mental test. They easily fall in love with themselves, but they themselves do not know how to love in return. Well, the perverse narcissist, prone to turning everything upside down, to manipulation and emotional abuse, can literally drive a person who is sincerely attached to him crazy.
The behavior of narcissists is almost impossible to correct. The best psychotherapists refuse to work with them, claiming that psychology has no methods of correcting this pathology.
Finding signs of narcissism in a woman’s behavior, you should literally run away from her. It is important to remember that all people for such ladies are just a “food” resource. They lead to strong feelings, subtly manipulating, and pressing on the weak points of the partner while remaining completely indifferent. And a happy life with a narcissist cannot be built under any circumstances.
Those were the main signs of narcissism in women, and I hope this is helpful for you. Please, do not forget to share this article with your friends and family.
Sharing is caring!